*Immediate release. For further information contact Ashley Lopez at (352)629-8306. 

(OCALA, Fla.) October 24, 2017 – A snake, a turtle, and a cat were safely removed from a smoke-filled home, after a self-cleaning oven function led way to a stove fire.

Ocala Fire Rescue units were dispatched to the 1800 block of East Fort King Street, where a residential structure fire was reported, at 10:46 AM. Firefighters arrived to find the homeowner and two dogs outside. Upon entering, crews came across smoke coming from an oven which was accidentally set to clean with a pot containing grease inside. Attacking the oven fire with water cans firefighters extinguished the flame, and removed the animals that were unable to exit on their own – a snake, a turtle and a cat.

The fire was confined to the stove, and completely extinguished by 10:58 AM. No injuries were reported.

“In case of an oven fire, it is critical for cooks to turn off the heat and keep the oven door closed”, said Ocala Fire Rescue Captain, Clayton Anderson. “A closed oven door will keep oxygen from fueling the fire inside, and prevent further spread.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read Papers on Mobile Device
Subscribe to mailing list

* indicates required



Newsletter and/or digital publication