(OCALA, Fla.) May 31, 2017 – A family of three was displaced after a kitchen fire rendered the home uninhabitable.

At 1:17 PM Ocala Fire Rescue responded to the scene of a kitchen fire at 1610 NE 14th Ave. Upon arrival firefighters encountered a single story wood frame home with heavy smoke.

Learning from bystanders that two dogs had been rescued by a neighbor, and no people where in the home, firefighting operations continued. Firefighters from Rescue #1 commenced a primary search, while Engine #3 and Rescue #3 crews deployed the hose lines and doused the flames with water.

The flames, which managed to expand past the kitchen, into the living area, were knocked down by 1:25 PM. Fire Rescue personnel continued to search for, and cool down, hot spots to prevent any flames from rekindling.

Once the fire was completely extinguished, firefighters were able to interview a home occupant. Conversations with the occupant revealed the stove had been in use minutes before the occupant left the house, and could have been left on.

Ocala Fire Rescue reminds the public to always watch what they heat, as unattended cooking is the leading cause of kitchen fires.

The Red Cross was contacted and is in the process of sending volunteers to assist the family with shelter and immediate needs.

Ocala Police Department and Marion County Fire Rescue also responded.

Contact:      Ashley Lopez, Public Information Officer

Telephone: (352)629-8306

Mobile:       (352)817-5914  

News Feed with Feedly

Feedly allows you organize all publications, blogs, and information you want to follow to keep up with. Click thumbnail for instructions.

Read Papers on Mobile Device
Subscribe to mailing list

* indicates required

Newsletter and/or digital publication